Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A 'railway-track' sprint

It is believed that any country's embassy, when issuing a non-immigrant permit/visa (student permit, work permit etc) satisfy themselves of the fact that the person seeking the permit will return back to his country. And for the same reason, the Canadian Embassy has included a Questionnaire as a part of the Visa application where an answer to what one intends to do once he has completed his education is expected.

While filling my Visa application, I made sure that my answers are able to convince the Visa officials of my return to India. This would enable me a hassle-free Students Visa/permit for my MBA course at Queen's.

Along with this, I am running to collect the documents which will enable me to successfully file a Permanent Resident (PR) application upon reaching Canada. The one of the few documents which I have come to know is a Police Clearance Certificate from all the countries of stay. Luckily or unluckily I have not visited been to any country outside India.

My present state of resident application for Canada is like that of a Railway track where the two rails are parallel and can never meet but run together always. For me, though the tracks are running parallel for the time being, its a different case-a case of an athlete running on two sprint tracks simultaneously with am aim to win each sprint. One of the sprint/track is a Student Visa, where I am trying to assure the Visa officials that I am returning back to India; the other being the Permanent Resident application process, something enabling me stay in Canada like a Canadian citizen sans the right to vote.

A question seldom pops up in my mind nowadays-After getting a PR status-will I be an Indian? or will I be a Canadian? or will I be both? Its not less than an identity crisis!

No comments: